WHAT IS BINKABU?
BINKABU is a small handmade jewellery business based in Brisbane. The team consists of:
- Maddi, who started BINKABU as a humble polymer clay earring hobby in 2019. Maddi is a classical musician (flutist) who wanted to start another creative venture to complement her performing and teaching lifestyle. As well as making and designing the earrings, and the boring business stuff, Maddi also designs the Instagram and website.
- Tim, Maddi's handsome husband. When Tim realised Maddi's little earring venture was transitioning from hobby to business, he jumped onboard as a designer and all-round helper-er in 2020. Tim is responsible for the photography and the task of getting designs laser-ready!
- Bronte, our absolutely amazing employee who we couldn't function without! She is a talented artist herself and has an unbelievable eye for detail.
- Link, a self-obsessed green cheek conure who helps with distracting Maddi and Tim from their daily tasks.
- Kevin, a feisty turquoise green cheek conure who has *issues* and inspires his family to problem solve thanks to his mysterious ways on a daily basis.
WHAT'S IN THE NAME?
Binkabu (Binka-boo) is a little nickname we have for Link. It just stuck, and as Link was the original inspiration behind the business, Maddi named it after him. Maddi wanted to donate part of the profits to bird rescues and sanctuaries and promote proper avian care through the biz, which is why Link was her inspiration! You can learn a bit more on our About Us page.
WHO MAKES MY EARRINGS?
Maddi, Tim and Bronte! We design and make everything together, at our home in Indooroopilly. Our acrylic is sourced and laser cut from a local Brisbane business, but all of the assembly and finishing happens in our home. Sometimes Kevin helps chew the jewellery boxes because that's very necessary.
WHAT ARE THE EARRING POSTS AND HOOPS MADE OUT OF?
We use a high quality surgical stainless steel, so a good choice for sensitive earlobes. It is scratch-resistant, corrosion-resistant and tarnish-resistant. No itchy green skin from our products! In the case of severe allergies, we do have a sterling silver option, but please note that sterling silver is a softer metal which bends and scratches easily. Unless you are very allergic to nickel, surgical stainless steel is the superior choice in our opinion. Modifications like silver posts or clip-on backings are made to order and can result in an extra day of processing time.
DO YOU DO CLIP-ON BACKINGS?
Yes! You can select the option of clip-on backings before you add a product to your cart. Send us an email at email@example.com if you have trouble finding it. These are also made from high quality surgical stainless steel.
WHAT TYPE OF EARRING POST BACKINGS DO YOU USE?
We use a round, plastic/steel back to secure the earring and keep the bird's head in a nice sturdy position. These backings are very firm and secure, and 1cm wide so they're super comfy!
DO YOU SHIP INTERNATIONALLY?
Absolutely. We send international parcels via Australia Post Standard International Shipping. We've introduced free shipping WORLDWIDE for orders over $150!
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR MY BIRDS TO GET TO ME?
Please allow 2-5 days processing time for your orders (processing = the time it takes to get your order ready for post. Shipping times are on top of our processing times). Shipping times will vary based on where you live - you can track your order through Australia Post. *Please expect delays due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
DO YOU WHOLESALE YOUR PRODUCTS?
Not at this time. It may be something we explore in the future.
IS IT SAFE FOR MY BIRD TO CHEW ON OR PLAY WITH MY EARRINGS?
No. This will not only break your earrings, but your bird may ingest the acrylic, which is a type of plastic. Please do not let your real birds near your lobe birds.
HOW CAN I CONTACT BINKABU ABOUT A CUSTOM ORDER?
At this time, we are unable to do custom orders, although you are welcome to ask. You might just be asking at the right time in the right circumstances. All enquiries and questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
IS LINK A GOOD BOY?
He is the best boy in the whole world.
IS KEVIN A GOOD BOY?
He's getting there.